Achieving Educational Equity for New York City’s Newcomer Students Panel Event (Online)
Details: Over 30,000 newcomer students have enrolled in NYC public schools since the spring of 2022, and many have previously experienced interruptions in their education. What are the strengths, assets, and needs of New York City’s newest students? How can educators, community organizations, and policymakers collaborate to better support students and families as they transition to our city? This webinar will address who these students are and explore how schools and community organizations can create the conditions for students to be successful. Panelists will also discuss local and federal policies to achieve educational equity for all newcomer students in New York City schools.
Our panelists include several experts, such as:
- Moderator: Natasha Quiroga, director of education policy and InsideSchools, The New School’s Center for New York City Affairs
- Lara Evangelista, executive director, Internationals Network
- Ivonne Mora, teacher, International Community High School
- Melissa De Leon, principal, International High School at Lafayette
- Lisa Auslander, senior project director, Bridges to Academic Success
- María Rocha-Carrillo, NYC program specialist, ImmSchools
- Alejandra Vázquez Baur, fellow, The Century Foundation, and co-founder, National Newcomer Network
- Aqdas Shahnoory, Eleanor Roosevelt High School 11th grader, New York City Schools
- New York Government Official, To Be Confirmed
This event is supported by the Levin Endowment.
When: December 13, Wednesday @ 4-5:30 PM
Where: Join The New School’s Center for New York City Affairs, the Internationals Network for Public Schools, The Century Foundation, and the National Newcomer Network for this timely virtual panel discussion. (Register here to get the Zoom link.)
Past InsideSchools events
Introduction to Transition Planning by IncludeNYC
Details: "Get to know the basics of transitioning into life after high school for students with disabilities, including changes in disability law, planning, procedures, evaluations, and next steps." (Language: Spanish)
When: November 8, Wednesday @ 5PM
Where: Virtual (Register to attend the webinar!)
High School Admissions Webinar
Details: Part II of our webinar series is geared to current 8th and 9th grade families embarking on this year's high school admissions process. In this free, one-hour webinar, expert panelists from InsideSchools and NYC Admissions Solutions will answer the most frequently asked questions submitted to us about this year's admissions process.
To make the most of the information in this webinar, attendees should be sure to watch Part I of our webinar series prior to this event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URCMcm85ztc
We strongly encourage you to submit one question when you register for this event that you would like us to answer. We will answer the most frequently asked questions submitted by those who register.
Where: Online (Register to get the Zoom link)