Filling out the U.S. Department of Education’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step for most students seeking financial support for college. But the form can be complicated and intimidating, particularly for New York City students. Many fill out the form themselves or have questions that are not easily answered on the form.
Need some help? Check out our partner website at UnderstandingFAFSA.org. And be sure to download FAFSA: The How-To Guide for High School Students (And the Adults Who Help Them). This popular publication is available in ten languages and answers the most frequent questions students have.
The latest version of the FAFSA will be available beginning October 1, 2022. Students and families should fill it out as soon as they can. Some financial aid is available on a first come-first served basis.
The guide will be particularly useful for first-generation, immigrant and low-income students. Many are filling out the form for the first time. The guide was written in partnership with New York City college counselors and financial aid professionals in an effort to answer many of the questions students have.
- What is the FAFSA form and what documents will I need?
- What kinds of questions can I expect and how does the process work?
- What if I am not a U.S. citizen?
- What if my parents are divorced or separated?
- How do I report and calculate my family’s income?
- What happens after I file the FAFSA?
- How do I compare college financial aid offers?
- What are grants and loans and what do I need to know about debt?
- What should I do to get the most money for college?
The website and guide have been updated with the information you need to apply for aid this year. Check us out and subscribe to our newsletter for the latest news, updates, tips and tools – and strategies for getting the college money you deserve.
Need more help? Talk to your school college counselor or college access professional in your community. Or contact the guide’s author Kim Nauer at [email protected]. We’ll answer your questions and get you the assistance you need!